The most common cause of preventable hearing loss is from exposure to loud noises (this includes anything from machinery and loud music). The amount of exposure you have to a noise and the volume of it will influence how much of an impact it has on your ears long-term. The Australian standard for noise exposure is if you are exposed to noise at 85dB (decibels), then the time of exposure should be limited to no more than 8 hours. For every increase of 3dB in volume, exposure length is halved (eg at 88dB, exposure time should be no more than 4 hours). As a general rule, the louder the noise is, the less time you can spend exposed to it before it starts causing permanent damage.
The National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL) has created a tool to allow anyone to calculate their risk of developing a hearing impairment based on their lifestyle listening habits. For more information, visit knowyournoise.nal.gov.au. While this website should not replace clinical hearing assessments, it is useful to investigate your lifestyle and offers helpful tips on how to manage your listening risk.
What can we do to manage our listening risk? Hearing protection is important as your hearing needs to last you your lifetime. Reducing the volume of the sound source and exposure time you are around this noise can help reduce the impact it has on your hearing. Here at the Sydney Hearing Services clinics, we encourage everyone to be aware of their auditory surroundings and can provide personal hearing protection for a variety of uses.
Contact the clinic for more details or to arrange an appointment
In many of today’s hearing devices, button-style batteries are used to ensure optimum performance. Hearing aid batteries use zinc air technology which allows for a high energy output and larger capacity than conventional alkaline button batteries given their size.
There are typically several factors which influence how long your hearing aid batteries last for:
When first removed from the packet, hearing aid batteries come with an activation sticker/tab which covers air holes at the top of the battery. Once this sticker is removed, the battery will be activated so remember to only remove it just before you need to insert it into your hearing device.
Storing new and used batteries in a secure place is extremely important. Because of their size, hearing aid batteries should always be kept out of reach of children and pets as they can be a choking hazard or cause burns internally. Also remember to store batteries separate from oral medications to reduce the risk of accidental ingestion. When you change your batteries, immediately place the used batteries in a child-proof container and bring them to a local recycling center (do not throw them in the bin or leave them lying around). For places near you to recycle all batteries, visit recyclingnearyou.com.au/batteries.
Should a person or pet accidentally swallow any type of battery, seek immediate medical assistance by taking them to the nearest Emergency Medical Department (or vet). If possible, bring the battery packaging along with you. For more information, you can call the Poisons Information Center on 13 11 26.
Running low on hearing aid batteries? The Sydney Hearing Services clinics has access to all hearing aid battery sizes available in store for purchase or available through the post (additional postage cost may apply).
If you’re sick and tired of having to change batteries at all, contact the clinic to hear about our new range of rechargeable hearing aids with up to 5 years of battery life.